- About HypnoBirthing
- HypnoBirthing Practitioners
- HypnoBirthing Classes
- Frequently Asked Questions
- HypnoBirthing Stories
Marie Mongan founded the original HypnoBirthing ®approach to birthing in the USA in 1989. HypnoBirthing ® The Mongan Method is an award-winning and comprehensive childbirth education program that teaches women and their partners techniques for safe and satisfying birthing.
Parents are supported as they prepare to birth their baby in the most natural way using “birthing tools” such as guided imagery, visualisation, deep relaxation (self hypnosis) and special breathing techniques. This approach is backed by impressive research results and has been shown to be effective for birthing in a variety of settings including home, birth centre and hospital. Techniques are suitable for natural as well as caesarean births.
The HypnoBirthing ® method teaches the art and joy of experiencing birth in a more comfortable manner, free of tension and fear and in a relaxed state. This allows you to create your body’s own natural relaxant which subsequently lessens the need for medication and intervention. Mothers learn to trust their body and work with it to birth her baby in a way that most reflects the way nature intended. Although profoundly relaxed, HypnoBirthing mothers are aware, empowered, fully in control and working in sync with their birth companions and care providers.
Emma Lund – Psychologist and HypnoBirthing® Practitioner
Since 1995 Emma Lund has developed a broad range of experience counselling and supporting parents and young people, and has been registered as a Psychologist since 2002. Her qualifications are in the areas of Child and Family Psychology, Health Psychology as well as Educational and Developmental Psychology.
Emma is passionate about assisting her clients to improve their psychological wellbeing, general health and relationships, and believes that parents can have an impact on their child’s development even before they are born. This is the reason she chose to learn and apply the HypnoBirthing® approach for all three of the births of her daughters. Convinced by experience that it is a wonderful way to bring joy, calm and wisdom to pregnancy and birthing, she undertook the training and became a certified HypnoBirthing® practitioner in 2008.
Emma has been enjoying teaching these natural birthing classes and is committed to assisting and encouraging more and more mothers, fathers and babies to share in the joy, fulfillment and success of this approach to birthing.
Highlights of the 5-unit, confidence-building education classes:
- How the mind and emotions affect the body
- Why labour hurts and why it doesn’t have to
- Releasing fear, the enemy of labour
- Preparing your mind and body for birthing
- Avoiding artificial induction and episiotomy
- Developing ultimate-depth relaxation
- Understanding the stages of labour
- Preparing your Birth Plan (suitable for a hospital, birthing centre or home-birth in Victoria, Australia)
- Tapping Nature’s own relaxant
- Breathing your baby down for birth
It is strongly encouraged that you attend the course with the person you have chosen as your “birth companion” (support person during the birth). This is so they can learn and practice techniques with you. Midwives, doulas, obstetricians, other birthing professionals welcome also.
What to Bring
Wear comfortable clothes and please bring book and handouts to each class.
The course comprises 5 Units and are usually taught over four – five classes of 2 ½ – 3 hours.
Both group (minimum of 4 couples) and individual/private classes are available. Weekday, evening and weekend classes offered.
East Hawthorn or in-home classes can be arranged for private classes (if you live within 5 km radius of Hawthorn).
Book HypnoBirthing, The Mongan Method . Includes CD with 2 tracks.
Rainbow Relaxation MP3 and other MP3 tracks.
Access to additional resources
Phone consultations during pregnancy
Please note If for any reason you miss one of the group classes, it is recommended that you attend a private session before the next scheduled class. This is not included in the total fee.
Please contact Emma Lund for bookings
1300 303 160 or
To find out more about HypnoBirthing, go to www.hypnobirthing.com
www.neopsychology.com.au or http://www.facebook.com/NeoBirthing
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can a Psychologist be helpful during pregnancy and in preparing me for childbirth and parenting?
- Psychologists are experts in human behaviour, emotions and cognitive and physiological processes. In particular, those trained in Health and Developmental Psychology can provide a wholistic approach to health and wellbeing across the lifespan. Understanding the mind-body connection enables you to take charge of your mental and physical state during pregnancy, birth and in caring for your baby. By consulting a Psychologist you can be assisted to develop a greater knowledge of how your brain chemicals work, how you can manage your fears and anxiety, stress and negative thinking, and how the Fight, Flight, Freeze response works. If you have a history of mental health issues or have experienced sexual abuse, miscarriage, birth loss or trauma, fertility problems or have special circumstances during pregnancy i.e., a mental or physical health condition, or disability, a more tailored approach to preparing you for birthing and parenting, provided by a Psychologist, may be helpful. GP referrals with a Mental Health Care Plan are accepted by the Psychologists at Neo Psychology and Medicare rebates would then apply to consultation fees.
- What is the difference between HypnoBirthing – The Mongan method, Hypnobabies, Calm Birth and other childbirth education programs?
- Can I just order the HypnoBirthing book, listen to the tracks and practise on my own instead of doing the classes as well?
- Why cant the HypnoBirthing program be taught online or in a more intense format i.e., full weekend programs?
- Would I be better off doing the group classes or an individual program?
- Ive already had a baby so can I do refresher classes only?
- Im scheduled for a Ceasarean birth so can I still use HypnoBirthing techniques?
- Can I do the classes on my own if my partner doesn’t want to attend?
At Neo Birthing, when we talk about preparation for a positive birth, we are referring to the psychological techniques, education and support that are crucial for a gentle, confident, joyous and safe birth.